Anger at the failure of the state

Anger at the failure of the state

Shining Easter candle © Harald Oppitz (KNA)

Relatives of fatalities of Genoa bridge collapse reject state funeral planned for Saturday. The surviving dependants of so far 17 of the officially 38 victims would have decided in such a way, reports the newspaper "Corriere della Sera".

A funeral service for 12 of the 38 people killed in Tuesday's bridge collapse will be held Saturday morning at the Genoa Exhibition Center. The relatives of the remaining 26 want to say goodbye to the victims privately in their respective homes. According to media reports, they base this on anger and disappointment over alleged failures of the state and the reactions of some politicians. Moreover, they shy away from the public.

Genoa's archbishop presides over funeral service

The Capuchin Mauro Brezzo, hospital chaplain of the "San Martino" hospital, where several of the 15 victims, some of them seriously injured, are being treated, can understand the frustration of the relatives. "Few care about an act of state. Many don't want to be in the public eye – I understand that," he told the press service SIR. The money for the effort to bring so many people to Genoa should rather have been given to the affected families, said Brezzo.

The funeral service, declared an act of state, will be presided over in the largest exhibition hall by Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco, the archbishop of the port city. Are expected beside president Sergio Mattarella also Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte and other government members. The president of the bishops' conference, Cardinal Gualtiero Basetti, and other bishops of the Liguria region have also announced their presence.

Exhibition hall was converted into a burial hall

Already on Friday morning, according to a statement of the Archdiocese of Genoa, Auxiliary Bishop Nicolo Anselmi had invited people to the exhibition hall, which had been converted into a burial hall, to pray for the victims and their relatives. In the early evening Cardinal Bagnasco also wants to pray there with mourners. In the hall itself are 1.500 seats provided for the guests, with a separate place for the relatives. At the same time, the funeral service is to be broadcast via screens to a neighboring exhibition hall.

At least 38 people were killed when the highway bridge collapsed on Tuesday morning, according to authorities. 15 were injured, 10 more people are still missing. Government leader Conte has declared this Saturday a day of national mourning. In addition, the authorities have imposed a twelve-month state of emergency on the province of Genoa. After the collapse of the four-lane highway bridge, the port city is more or less divided in two.

Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: